What to Wear for Engagement Photos is one of the most common questions we hear from our recently engaged couples. They ask us “What should we wear for our photo shoot?”. You’ll be reminiscing over your engagement photos for many happy years to come, so it’s important to think seriously about what to wear to your engagement shoot.
WHAT TO THINK ABOUT WHEN PLANNING YOUR ENGAGEMENT SHOOT OUTFITS
The most important thing during your engagement shoot is to be yourself! The whole purpose of the shoot is to capture exactly who you are, and show your personalities. If you pick an outfit that just isn’t ‘you’, you’ll feel uncomfortable, and trust us, it’ll show in the photos.
Think about your body type as well; you know what suits you and what doesn’t, so don’t just pick something you thought looked great in a magazine. If you’re worrying about what your arms look like in that strapless dress, it’s going to be harder to capture those beautiful moments of a couple in love.
Dress for the season, especially if your engagement shoot is outdoors. Wearing thin summer clothes in the winter is only going to make you cold and miserable, and you don’t want goose bumps ruining your engagement photos. Similarly, wearing heavy winter clothes in the height of summer is a surefire recipe for sweatiness, and I’m sure sweat stains and melting make-up isn’t the look you’re going for!
You’ll want to coordinate with each other, rather than looking like Mr. and Mrs. Identical. Think about colors that complement each other, say cherry red and bright blue, or baby pink and turquoise, and make sure your outfits are color coordinated. The same goes for how dressy you’re planning to be; if you’re going for a formal look, then both of you need to be formal – while her in a ball-gown and him in shorts and a t-shirt might seem quirky, is it really the look you‘ll want to remember?
Use your location. Depending on whether your shoot is outdoors or indoors, think about what looks will best set off the backdrop of your photos. If your setting is a grand hall in a stately home, a dress and a suit will look great, but the same outfits won’t translate as well to a woodland grove. If you are looking for San Antonio wedding photographers check out our engagement portfolio
Try a Stylist
If you still can’t figure out what to wear for engagement photos and just want to give this over to a professional I suggest you use Trunk Club for men or StitchFix for Women or StitchFix for Men. With Trunk Club you get a personal stylist that will pick out your clothes, ship them fedex to your door, you try them on, if you like them you keep them, if you don’t you ship them back for free. Its that easy. Its a great way to try clothes you would not normally try. The best part is that you know the clothes they send your are always going to be in style, its their job! Give them a try, you can’t regret it.
WHAT TO WEAR FOR ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS
Rock layers and accessories. This is all about giving you choice and flexibility, and if it usually takes you a while to feel natural in front of the camera, accessories are perfect for giving you something to do with your hands. Looking for cool ways to tie a tie? Click here. If you’re stuck for creative ways to wear a scarf, try here.
Give yourselves options on the day. Even if you’re certain you know what look you’re going for, bring at least two outfits, one dressy and one casual, and mix it up. Trying different looks makes for great versatility in your engagement shoot, so ladies, give yourself the option of a skirt and pants.
Another one just for the ladies – you know we’re going to get some amazing shots of your engagement ring, right? So make sure that the ring is sparklingly clean, and your nails are done.
THE DO’S AND DON’TS
FOR ENGAGEMENT SHOOT OUTFITS
Do these for photo success!
- Get professional hair and makeup (great practice for wedding day)
- Try a professional wardrobe consultant like Stitch Fix or Trunk Club
- Embrace bold colors
- Splurge on fantastic new shoes
- Launder and iron your clothes (we’re not your mom, sorry! Even photoshop won’t get those wrinkles out)
- Bring props (we love including items that are especially meaningful to you; your pet, an instrument, a hobby, sport or whatever suits you the most)
Don’t do these things!
- Don’t wear white or khaki unless they go with your skin complexion
- Don’t wear anything with big logos or lots of writing (it detracts from the two of you)
- Don’t wear exactly matching outfits (unless you’re going for heavy irony!)
- Don’t wear brand new clothes straight from the store (spare yourself the wrinkles and fit issues)
- Don’t wear clothes that are too tight or too baggy (if it fits perfectly, you’ll feel perfect; if it doesn’t. . .)
- Don’t wear white socks that peek out of your pants please guys!
- Don’t tan right before your shoot (tanning disasters can happen at any time, but right before your engagement shoot? Disaster!)
Check out some of our Recent Engagement Shoots
- Winery Engagement photos at Becker Vineyards in Fredericksburg
- Hill Country Engagement Photos with Porsche
- South Asian Engagement Photos San Antonio
- Romantic Japanese Garden Engagement in San Antonio
- Engagement Photos San Antonio TX – Laramie & Gage
Having a Beach Engagement Session?
Check out these Beach Engagement Outfit Ideas. Beaches and Tropical locations allow you to dress with a more bold and colorful wardrobe that lends itself to the setting. Try pastels with flowy dresses or bold colors and fun hats. You can go casual with a shorts or romantic with a long dress. If the scenery allows it have some shots of you wearing your swimsuits and playing in the water. Here are some examples of great beach engagement outfits.
Click here to see an example engagement session with great Beach Engagement Outfit Ideas and other what to wear for engagement photos